Wednesday, February 15, 2012
Drinking Speech Video
This video was a good example of an informative speech using a variety of sources, overhead projection, and facts in such a way that a speaker/ audience relationship is developed. I have to admit I did not care for his introduction with pretending to throw up, although I guess it got my attention. His overall speech was good, and he did have a lot of interesting statistics about drinking to add to his credibility as a speaker. One thing I really liked was how he took the statistics he found concerning negative effects of drinking and translated them into what effect they would have on the number of people in the class. For instance he noted that according to the rate of people injured in a car accident involving alcohol 4 people out of the class would be in an accident that night. That made the statistics real and showed how they applied to his audience. He also did this with physical effects of long term binge drinking and shared that most college students (his audience) today drink to get drunk. I did find that I could not help comparing his speech to the girl who gave the slug speech. I felt like he was reading his citations, while hers were worked so well into her speech that she just seemed like an expert. Also when he used the overhear projection I thought it would have been more effective to have less words, maybe some graphics or charts that would have given a visual representation of what he was saying. The way he did it you were simply reading what he was saying. It did say he was from an Introduction to Public Speaking class, and I'm sure my first Informative speech will have some glitches. Overall I got the idea of how to give a speech, engage and include your audience, and work your topic to relate to your audience.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment