Sunday, February 26, 2012

Importance of Supporting Materials

Chapter 7 gave a wide variety of ways to support the foundation of your speech and make it really stand out. I liked seeing how many different ways you can add depth to a speech. Narratives can help the speaker identify with the audience on a personal level. Examples can make an idea make more sense and make the audience understand on a deeper level. Definitions help clarify concepts in the speech. Testimonials can back up the ideas you are trying to get across to the audience, they are like having someone to back you up. Facts and statistics help establish credibility with the speaker as well as show the amount of effort that went into the development of the speech. Also seeking communications media can enhance a speech by providing another source to explain your topic. I think a great speech is a balance of a few of these materials. I really enjoy narratives, where a speaker relates his/her topic to something personal. I also like to hear statistics because it helps me put things into numerical perspective. Using just one method can take away from a speech, so it is important to establish a balance between the speakers own ideas and a variety of types of support. After reading the chapter I felt that I had learned a lot about something I knew was a part of a good speech but did not know the exact terms or uses.

No comments:

Post a Comment