Friday, February 3, 2012

Speech Buddy Thoughts

Watching the interactive videos that correspond to Chapter 2 and 4 helped make more sense out of what I read in the book this week. Seeing students my age discuss the strategies for reducing anxiety was helpful. I especially liked the different breathing techniques and seeing them demonstrated. I do a lot of releasing tension breathing, although I did not known the technical name for it. The video of Jessica's speech was very inspiring. I loved how she took her topic and developed a very interesting analogy to describe her feelings on having a brother with Downs Syndrome. Creativity is very important to keep your audience's attention and to help them grasp your message. The book talks about brainstorming, just jotting down ideas that pop into your head in the beginning stages of planning a speech. I imagine Jessica was doing that when she saw the connection between ending up in Holland instead of Italy and the news that her mother was carrying a baby boy with a disorder. One thing I noticed about Jessica was how she used to hands while she was speaking. She would emphasize her main points with her hands, as a person who was just having a very natural conversation with a friend would do. I found this video to be helpful in seeing ways to present a topic that are not conventional as well as being aware of how powerful body language can be for improving your speech.

2 comments:

  1. Wow the interactive buddy cd seems very helpful from what you have said. Unfortunately I have been having trouble getting the text and the cd. Once I do get the cd I will go back and watch these two.I am especially intrested in the part of the cd that has the people our age giving out tips to reduce stress anxiety,I think it will be helpful to hear what they say. I already know some breathing techniques but I am always open an intrested in new ideas. So I think I would enjoy that part too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't really think about some of the finer points of the video until I read your post. I do agree that Jessica's examples really brought her life experience together with Helen Keller's story. The videos also helped me tie everything that the two chapters covered. Being able to see things like the breathing techniques and the two different speeches helped me feel a little better about the upcoming speech. I agree that Jessica used her hands well when she gave her speech. I always worry that I will use my hands to much and talk with my hands through out the whole speech.

    ReplyDelete