Sunday, February 19, 2012

Audience-speaker relationship

This weeks reading added another aspect of research that needs to be done in order to give a memorable speech. I honestly had not given much thought to the importance of knowing the audience that you are going to be speaking to. I feel lucky that for this class my first audience I will be learning to public speak to will all be students like myself. We all have a similar lifestyle being in school, although we have different backgrounds. Our culture speeches helped me to learn more about individuals in the class. I started writing my demonstration speech and I have been trying to keep in mind what I know about people in our class and some things that might link us as students. Outside of all of us being students we are also linked in that we live in the same area of CA. There were some parents in the class, and I'm sure many or most people also work outside of the home. I'm not sure how similar our psychographics are, although the blog posts and comments are a good way to find out more about individual beliefs and values. Its going to be a juggling act to write this speech, incorporate the research citations, and tie in what I know about the audience all at the same time. At the same time its a fun challenge, and a lot easier as we at least know we are all students at Sierra College. Good luck everyone!

1 comment:

  1. I love the way that you have immediately related this chapter to how you are going to approach your demonstration speech this coming Monday. So cool! Totally proactive thinking there. I feel you on having never thought about this aspect of public speaking before. And I completely agree that our blogs are a really cool way of finding out about each other. I think it is really interesting the way that people open up more in a blog-like setting, where they don't have to relate face to face, and I think it allows for us to feel as though we have "bonded" a bit once we meet for class. I think that this way, we end up getting to know each other perhaps a little bit more than what we would if were were just sitting next to each other as we listen to a lecture series.

    ReplyDelete