Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Chapter 10 and 12 Speech Buddy Videos

I have finally figured out that the Use It video clips are the ones I get the most out of. There are the Watch it videos, that simply summarize what you read in the chapter, and then the Use it videos that show speeches that highlight the reading. For Chapter 10 3 clips from speeches were used to highlight different techniques for using language. The first speech, Amy's, ends in her using a metaphor between her topic and a "female orgasm." I am still undecided as to whether this word choice was a good move or not. While it could certainly be offensive to some members of the audience, it also was an attention grabber and it definitely made her speech memorable! The second speech clip was by Stacy. I am not sure if the purpose of showing the audience members faces during her speech was to show that some of them looked bored, but I felt her speech was somewhat long winded and her word choice could have been more concise. I liked her speech, just felt that she went into too much description and was a little too formal for the setting. The last speech was Eric, and what I liked about him was that he seemed very comfortable and was a great conversational speaker. He chose simple, clear language to tell the story of his friends funeral. He also incorporated humor, further connecting his audience to his speech. The video for Chapter 12 that I found the most interesting was 12.2 Use it with David and Lisa. David's speech was pretty good, but I noticed he stared in one spot the whole speech. You never saw the audience so he could have been speaking to just one person, but if not he needed to work on his eye contact. I also thought he could have been more presentable. His speech was very well practiced and presented but his hat and outfit seemed sloppy. Lisa used her note cards too much. She held her cards in both hands the whole speech, and looked down every few words. It would have been better for her to hold her cards in one hand and reference her cards less often. Her language was good, but her card reading was distracting. It is helpful for me to watch these speeches not only to further understand the Chapters but also to see why choosing the right language and having the right delivery technique is crucial to the success of your speech.

1 comment:

  1. When the use it videos include speech segments, I do find those helpful. But when the use it video is simply a graphic saying, "Take what you leaned from the first video...and apply it to your next speech!" I end up thinking to myself, "Wow, that was a waste of so many people's time."
    I really liked the female orgasm analogy, and based on the positive whooping and wooting noises I heard at the end, I am thinking she gave that speech to a group of enthusiastic feminists. (I thought it was a pretty good example of knowing your audience... :) ) And man, go her for having the guts to end with that.

    I liked Eric's speech as well. He managed to love, loss, and a bit of nostalgia through his tone and his body language, as well as with the humor that he brought to a usually somber topic.

    I also completely agree with you on Stacey's speech. It is one thing to wax poetic, but when you do so in that bubbly "speechy" tone of voice, it totally comes off long winded and a little pretentious.

    And for the record I did not get any blanket fort/cookie time, but I am thinking that the weekend will find me fruitful in my endeavors. :D

    ReplyDelete