Saturday, April 28, 2012
Recent Persuasion
Convincing kids to do anything they don't want to do takes incredible persuasive skills. Every day brings endless opportunities for persuasion. Today for instance it began with trying to convince them that going to the Farmers Market would be fun. I used deductive reasoning by starting with the fact that a lot of people we know would be there, that its only once a week, and finally that we would have a great time. I used causal reasoning to explain that they stayed up too late the night before and that was why they were grumpy.I used examples of what we do there, who we may see, and what foods we like to buy. My final attempt was an analogy between how much fun we were having outside and how we could have the same fun at the market. I was successful! And we had a great time! In my adult life a recent argument with my husband required some strong persuasive skills over why he should clean the kitchen while I'm at school at night. Again I used an analogy, that I keep the whole house clean when I am home, so he should do the same when he's at home. I also used causal reasoning to explain that when I come home and the kitchen is a mess I am not happy, but if it is I am and I am very appreciative. Describing this argument by dissecting it with public speaking terminology make it sounds much more mild than it was...my persuasive skills were highlighted with some anger! Don't know if I won yet, as of tonight I am doing school and our kitchen is a wreck. I'll have to consult my book for some more advice!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Persuading children is always a challenge. It is amazing how they come up with some of the ways to argue. My boyfriend's son is 11 and is very persuasive himself. We comes up with very good reasoning why he should or shouldn't have to do something. It gets frustrating at times, but then I also am impressed with the fact that he is able to debate the subject so well. However, with my boyfriend's son, going to the farmer's market would not be anything that would require persuading. Unlike most kids, he absolutely loves vegetables and would be ecstatic to go somewhere that they were homegrown.
ReplyDelete