Friday, April 27, 2012
Pros/Cons Home School Speech Buddy Thoughts
I liked these videos because they were like watching a debate, and I enjoy a good debate. For Dixie's speech she chose to represent the pro side of home schooling. I recognized her use of a narrative with the story of a child coming home from school upset about something that happened. I however thought this narrative was weak, because kids come home from school crying for dozens of reasons that do not have to do with school security and curriculum, and I do not think this is a common occurrence. I felt that she needed to offer some statistics of public school violence and insufficient curriculum to show that it happens enough that the story of the kid crying is a situation many parents deal with. She did a great job setting up her Monroe's Motivated Sequence with the problem being the public school system, the solution being homeschooling, and the benefits you would see if you became a home school parent. What I did not like about her speech was that I found it to be a little extreme. I thought she needed to do a better job including the audience, many of whom are more likely public school parents than homeschool parents, and acknowledge that not all schools have daily violence. In fact I think thats pretty rare, at least from what I have observed. She could have focused more on statistical evidence that proves that home schooled children come out ahead educationally, or how they fare in college. Focusing on violence in schools should have been part of her reasoning, but not the entire slant. I also thought she talked too fast and it was difficult to follow her path of persuasion. Robert on the other hand did a great job with speaking with inflection and speed, but pausing in the places he felt needed emphasis. I felt his speech was better adapted to convince a group of people to take action, because his action was less extreme. He stressed that in combination to public schooling kids need parental help at home. He did a great job acknowledging that everyone in the audience was from different educational backgrounds, making the audience feel connected to his topic. I don't think he used Monroe's Motivated Sequence, he instead did a few topics to lead up to his solution, public school with parental involvement. Overall I would say his point were better delivered, and more inclusive and less extreme than Dixie's. I did like seeing a speech using Monroe's set up because I am still struggling with writing me next speech not using the usual 3 main points. There were also some narratives, use of statistics, different types of arguments and sociable credibility examples that helped me hear what they sound like in a speech. I found these clips to be helpful, hopefully now I can get this thing written!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I read that you had a different reaction to those videos, so I clicked over to read your post. How funny! I agree that Dixie was a little dramatic, and that insinuating that having your kids in a public school system will ensure that they live in terror of having a school shoot out was pretty extreme and not well founded. And looking back on it, she did just throw a bunch of rather radical claims around to sensationalize what she was saying.
ReplyDeleteI'm having a difficult time with this speech as well, and not simply because of the Monroe's Motivated Sequence thing, but all of the reasoning and whatnot that we need to fit into there. It's like a jigsaw puzzle! But I guess the silver lining is that it will all be over in another 10 days, right?