Thursday, April 12, 2012
Sexist Language
I am not entirely sure how I feel about the Flickr discussion, and I am curious to see how other people in our class respond. I did find it funny to read the discussion of using gender neutral language written in choppy "netspeak" language. I am with the members of the discussion who were annoyed by the worry over using the right gender words when most of the comments were written in fractured, choppy english. I am a person who tends to take things lightly, and I feel like modern society can be very sensitive concerning some issues. On the flip side there are certain things that trigger me to feel reactive, so I have to be aware that although it may not be an issue to me it might to someone else. With that being said, I feel like attempting to use non sexist language is important in both public speaking and writing. At the same time there are circumstances where using potentially sexist words may fit the context, like a "girls night out" or "the boys." It really depends on the context, the audience, and the way the words are used. I believe in complete freedom of speech, and do not think any words should be censored. I also find it interesting, and this situation was mentioned in the Flickr discussion, that often the most derogatory names like "bitch" and "blonde" are posted by the person the words refer to. When speaking to a class or a group of people in general neutral, inoffensive and all inclusive gender language should be used. On the internet I think its a free for all. You don't know your audience, you aren't seeing them, and they don't have to read what you write. In our class we all have to listen to each others speeches so we may as well make them pleasant and inoffensive. Avoiding sexist language in a public speaking setting will add to your credibility as well as ensure that no one is made to feel different or singled out because of their gender.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
My position on this issue is pretty much the same as you. In my opinion people have become a bit oversensitive when it comes to things related to race and gender. I feel that in life there is always a place and time for everything. I believe that in a formal setting (like when giving a speech) one must try to not use any words that might be taken out of context or seemed as offensive by someone in your audience. I think that in informal setting like when talking with your friends or on an informal website those rules do not apply.
ReplyDelete